The Town of Whitestown Highway Department consists of 18 dedicated employees under the direction of Highway Superintendent Salvatore Granato. Each season the scope of their duties changes. With the guidance of our Working Foremen, Dennis Smith and John Stevener the town roads are kept in excellent condition.
Seasonal activities include:
There are 47 miles of roads to be plowed in the winter months.
Plowing or snow blowing into the street is unsafe and against the law
Town plows will remove snow as close to mailboxes as possible, however, the detailed removal around the box is the homeowners responsibility.
Removal of snow from sidewalks is the homeowner's responsibility.
- Collection begins the week after Christmas
- Please no metal or plastic, as the trees are composted.
Annual Trash Pick Up for Town Residents (Village residents not included)
All town roads and streets are swept to remove sand and debris.
- Trash pickup usually takes place the first two weeks in June. Actual dates of specific streets are announced each spring.
- Watch for announcement for details on items, times and regulations on trash pickup.
Green waste picked up on weekly basis from April15 to October 15
- Green waste should be curbside each Monday and will be picked up by Friday.( In the spring please be patient. There are large amounts of debris to be collected.
- Brush should be no larger than 6 inches in diameter and 10 feet long. Please pile butt ends toward the road. Smaller materials should be put in containers.
- Smaller material should be put in containers with handles (no more than 40 lbs). Containers should be placed on the corner of the driveway or on the lawn, not in ditches or roadways.
- Grass clippings will not be accepted unless they are placed in containers with handles at curbside, no plastic bags.
- Dirt, rocks, glass, wood, metal, paper, corrugated boxes, sand piles, stumps, root balls or logs larger than 6 inches will not be accepted.
- All professional lawn care contractors are responsible for the removal of all their customers' green waste and debris.
Under the Whitestown piping program, homeowners can purchase pipe to fill in a roadside ditch. Highway employees will install the pipe. This is for town maintained roads only. Please call the Highway Department at 736-4531 for more information.
During the summer months the Highway Department repairs infrastructure including:
The Gradall Crew digs ditches, lowers driveway pipes, replaces culvert pipes, and installs new storm sewers.
- catch basins, manholes, sanitary sewer lines and storm sewer lines
- paving and blacktopping roads, approximately 3 miles per year
- seals 1 ½ to 2 miles of roads per year to improve their life
Approximately 30 miles of sanitary sewer lines are maintained.
- Leaves need to be raked to the road's edge to be picked up.
Winter preparations are underway. Sand is stockpiled and plows and sanders are installed on the trucks.
The Highway Garage located at 5605 Westmoreland Road has a Recyling Bin for metal that town residents would like to discard. The hours are 6:30AM to 2:30PM Monday through Friday. Please METAL ONLY.